Sunday 9 November 2014

Tiger Who Came to Tea

I was asked to make a cake for my nephew last week. He loves the story the tiger who came to tea so I decided to base his cake on this. It was a relatively small cake, an 6" Ginger cake. I filled and covered it in vanilla butter icing and then coated it in white sugar paste. The cake was going to form the table. 

Since the cake was so white I decided to do an effect on the board to make it look like wood flooring. So I did a wood effect on the floor, marked out the planks and allowed it to dry. It was almost a shame to put the cake on it!! 
Wooden Floor
I rolled out some modelling paste, used an impression mat, and then covered then draped the cake with it to form a table cloth. 

I modelled a tiger and Sophie out of modelling paste and placed these on some icing so they were the right height for the table. 
Food on the table
 I also modelled some food for their tea, the idea was this was the start of the tea so there was still plenty left. I also decided to put a sign on the cake so the tiger came for Thomas's birthday tea. 
Finished Cake
Overall I was pleased with the cake. It was quite a white cake without much on it but if you look at the books illiustrations they actually look like this too. Thomas identified the tiger and wolfed down his slice. As long as he and his parents were happy that's all that matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment