Friday 17 October 2014

Teddy Bears Picnic Cake

For my dad's birthday this year I decided to use my recently learnt modelling skills. I made him a teddy bears picnic scene with a grandad, grandma and Amelia. Mum, who ordered the cake, asked that I made a light fruit cake so I made an 8" cake and covered this in marzipan and sugar paste. 

I edged the cake with "grass" which I cut out of sugar paste and stuck around the outside in a 3d effect. I made a rug and also draped over the top of the cake in a 3d effect. On top of this rug I carefully modelled the bears and stuck them down. I needed them to have some food to eat so I made a chocolate cake, bread and some carrot sticks, in an attempt to be healthy!! Each bear was eating a different piece of food with grandad eating the cake of course. 
Picnic Food
The final step to the cake was to place flowers around the cake, they were placed side and top. These were simple blossoms that were cut out using a plunger. 
Teddy bears in the field
Final Cake
Overall I was happy with this cake and my dad thought it was lovely which is all that mattered. It was nice to have a different cake in my portfolio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment