Monday 1 September 2014

Cascade Wedding Cake

I needed to make 4 display cakes for the upcoming wedding fairs I'm attending and I decided I needed to try and choose a few different styles. This cake was to showcase my flowers and to be quite luxurious. 

I used 3 tiers of polystrene dummies, 6", 8" and 10",  and covered them in white sugar paste. I trimmed each layer with some purple ribbon to cover the edges and bring a little colour on to the cake. 

I then set about making the flowers, these took me 3 days of work as I made several. I wanted to make a variety so I made Ivy Leaves, Rose Leaves, Roses, Carnations, Freesia and Jasmine. 
Lots of flowers in the making
I then started to make the topper of the cake, so I taped together some of the flowers and placed these in a flower pick on the top. 
Cake topper completed
Next job was the cascade down the side. I started by lining these up on the table in roughly the right arrangement. 
Trail of flowers
And then the biggest challenge was taping this together. I started with the Ivy as the bottom layer and held this against the cake to check it was ok. 
Checking out the Ivy
And then I fitted everything else into this. I built it up flower by flower trying to make sure everything was solid and a strong structure. I did place a couple of flower picks to support the roses as these were really heavy and toppling slightly. Once it was all taped I then attached it to the top and placed it on the cake. 
Cascade attached
I then needed to cover the board at the bottom, place ribbon on the bottom layer and put some flowers on the bottom. These were attached to the board so could only be done last. The final job was to place a few unwired ivy leaves on the cake to cover up the plastic flower picks and finish the cake off nicely. 

Cake all finished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment