Wednesday 3 September 2014

Bride and Groom Cake

This is another of my display cakes for the wedding fairs which is pink with a modelled bride and groom. I wanted to create cakes with different styles to showcase different ideas and to tempt the couples. 
To create this cake I covered 2 dummies with sugar paste, a 8" and 10", and then stuck them together with royal icing. I used 2 iced drums for these cakes, the first with a solid pink colour and then I marbled the larger board. The boards were trimmed with cream ribbon but I wanted something different for the cake. I used a little pearl mould to create a beaded trim around the cake, these were then stuck on with edible glue. 

I piped the bottom layer of the cake with a random swirl design. This is the first time I've done this so it isn't perfect but I have a diploma booked in to improve this very skill. 
Piping on the bottom tier and beading around the joins
The next challenge was to create the bride and groom. I learnt how to make a seated ballerina on the Sugar Paste dipoma, however, this was taking it to another level. I started off with sticking on the back of the dress as I was wanted it appear like she had a long train. On top of this I formed legs and then I placed the top layer of the dress on top of this. Finally I stuck on her body and head. I then made the groom in a similar way. It was easier because I only needed legs at the bottom not layers of dress. The black needed some cmc added to it so that it held its shape but white is good modelling paste already. Make sure you use modelling paste to create these at it'll hold it's shape once moulded and will dry solid. I left the figures to dry overnight and make sure they were really solid. 
Models driving overnight
The next day I added hair to the figures using a craft gum and stuck this on. I tried to shape the hair so it looked realistic and I even gave the bride a hair cut!! 
Finished cake
I'm quite pleased with how this cake turned out and especially pleased with the expression on the faces.
The happy couple
I think this cake is really sweet and hopefully it'll spark someone's imagination.
Close up of the groom
Close up of the bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment