Wednesday 2 April 2014

Peppa Pig Cake

I was asked, by a little girl who was about to have her 5th birthday, if she could have a chocolate Peppa Pig cake with Happy Birthday written in the sky. Of course, how could I say no? So I set about designing and planning this cake. I decided to shape the cake as Peppa Pig and then use the board to create the grass and the sky. 

I made 2 rectangular cakes, 24cm x 34cm, and using a template I cut out the shaping of the head and body of Peppa. I made the cake quite tall so there was plenty of cake, otherwise I think there wouldn't have been enough. The overall cake size was around A4. I covered the cake in butter icing and sugar pasted each part, body and head, separately. I covered a board with green and blue icing to create the grass and sky and then placed the cake together on the board. 
Ready for Detailing
Using sugar paste I made arms and legs. I also added detailing to Peppa, following pictures I had seen. As my kitchen is packed into boxes at the moment I didn't have any black icing, so I used blue for the shoes and the eyes. It isn't a perfect copy of Peppa but I don't think it's far off. 

Finally, using white chocolate as I had packed my royal icing, I piped Happy Birthday in the sky for her. 
Finished Cake
Over all I was happy with the cake and happy that she recognised it and seemed to like it. If I had more time and my supplies I would have created a better finish on the cake and also the correct colouring, hopefully we'll be able to unpack the kitchen soon. I hope that they enjoyed eating the cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment