Saturday 15 March 2014

Vanilla Baptism Cake

I was asked to make a large cake for a baptism on Saturday. The design was simple, as was the cake, but sometimes simple is more difficult.

I made 2 large vanilla sponges and then joined them together. For the each half I used:

400g Butter
400g Self Raising Flour
400g Caster Sugar
2tsp Baking Powder
8 Eggs
1tsp Vanilla Essence

I then filled each cake with raspberry jam and vanilla butter icing. I also coated the cake in butter icing and then sugar paste.

I was asked to pipe a verse on to the cake so I copied this into word, got it sized up and then piped it onto the cake, by eye, using purple royal icing. I then used the remaining icing to border the cake and have a little frame on the top.
Finished cake
Overall I thought that my piping was pretty good, this has certainly improved in the last year. I still have some practice to do but I'll get there. The cake got slightly damaged in transit so I'm not as pleased with the end product as I would have liked but hopefully it tastes good and people will enjoy eating it. Maybe I'll get some more cake orders from the Ashford direction (very welcome!).

No comments:

Post a Comment