Friday 14 March 2014

3 Tiered Flower Cake

For my sister's 30th birthday I decided to make a 3 tiered cake with flowers on it. She asked me to make lemon, chocolate and ginger cake. So I did. 

8" Lemon Cake
400g Butter
400g Self Raising Flour
400g Caster Sugar
8 Eggs
2tbsp Lemon Juice

6" Chocolate Cake
160g Butter
160g Plain Chocolate
25ml Coffee
1tsp Vanilla Essence
160g Plain Flour
1tsp baking powder
1tsp bicarbonate
240g Light soft brown sugar
3 eggs
150ml Soured Cream

4" Ginger Cake
50g Butter
50g Caster Sugar
50g Self Raising Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
1tsp Ginger
1 Egg
1tsp Golden Syrup

Once all of the cakes were baked I left them to cool and then cut them, using cocktail sticks as guides, at an angle. If I did this again I would cut the cakes at a much more of an angle. I then covered each of the cakes in butter icing and then sugar paste. 

I didn't have dowels, next time I'd use them, so I placed the cakes on boards and then put them on top of each other. The cakes sunk slightly but managed to hold pretty well considering there was no support. 

I cut out flowers and placed them on the side of the cake. I also rolled out a 30 for the top of the cake. Finally I made a Gerbera flower for the side of the cake.  
Gerbera Flower
Slightly Wonky Cake
Balanced Layers
Overall, considering the time restraints and lack of certain items, I was quite pleased with how this cake turned out. If I was to make it again I'd change certain elements and give myself more time to focus on it. I hope that my sister liked the cake and enjoyed the left overs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment