Sunday 2 February 2014

Flower Chain Cake

I wanted to make a birthday cake for my mother in law. After looking through the latest edition of the cake decoration magazine I got the idea to make a butterfly and flower chain cake. I decided to make 2 raspberry cakes with raspberry italian merringue buttercream icing. I made an 8 inch cake and a 6 inch cake:
Ready to go in the oven
Ingredients:
350g Butter
350g Caster Sugar
350g Self Raising flower
6 Eggs
100g Raspberries
Beautifully baked and cooling
Once the cakes were baked I cut them in half and filled the centre with the buttercream. I then coated the cakes in the buttercream and left it to harden slightly. 

Once ready I covered the cakes in white sugar paste, placed on thin cards and then placed on top of each other. 

Using royal icing I piped a snail trail around the edge of each cake to cover up the join. 

Using petal paste I coloured to pale pink, darker pink and purple. I then used some flower cutters and made 225 flowers in total. These were all rolled on a foam mat and left to dry. I also made 18 butterflies, folded these and left them to dry in shape. 
225 Flowers
Once everything is ready I marked chains around the outside of the cake and stuck the flowers on in random patterns along the line using royal icing. I also piped a dot in the centre of each flower. I stuck the butterflies in each gap and then pushed the wires in the centre of the top cake. Using a few more flowers the wire entry is covered up and a centre piece is created. 
Finished Cake

The top

Side View

Side view
Overall I was happy with this cake and it looks lovely. It's not perfect and is a little lopsided, however, if I was to make this again it would certainly be better and the basic idea is very good. 

If you're looking for a cake for any occasion please get in touch. I can make cakes to your budget and am currently making them for just the price of the ingredients (February 2014) but this will only be for a few more month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment