Tuesday 7 January 2014

Navy Roses with Polka Dots

I've been really busy lately trying to get various systems online but I decided to take a break from it all and decorate a cake. I didn't have an occasion to make it for so I decided to us my cake dummy instead. The challenges with this were to:
1) get the light weight cake to stick to the board - solved with some toothpicks. 
2) Getting the icing to stick to the dummy. 

I decided to cover the cake in ivory icing, along with the board, in the usual manner. I have been practicing making roses using various tutorials and finally I produced 3 that I was reasonably happy with. I used these as the centre piece for the cake, 3 roses slightly lifted balancing on each other and made a few green leaves to fill in the gaps. For the rim of the cake I decided to try and create a polka dot pattern. I used a template, produced in Word, and dented the icing with a skewer. I then watered down some of the ivory icing and piped this into the dents. 

Overall I was liked the design of the cake and think it looks stylish, maybe for a wedding or older person's birthday. I need to neaten up my polka dots and next time will be using royal icing instead. I find this a much better consistency to pipe with. I like the roses on the top but will continue to practice making these to get them even better. 
Roses on the cake
Finished design.
I will try making some other dummy cakes so I can practice some more and also it'll increase my portfolio. I hope that my new website will go live very soon. I am also going determined to significantly improve my standard this year so that I'm reasonably happy with every cake. It'll only go into my portfolio if I think it's good enough. 
If you'd like a cake, for any occasion, made to order, please get in contact with me. I'm currently, January 2014, making cakes for just the cost of ingredients and am really looking to increase my portfolio with some stunning designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment