Friday 15 November 2013

Humphrey Cake

My mum is a big fan of Humphrey the Elephant so this year for her birthday cake I decided to try and make a 3D Humphrey cake. She requested a carrot cake, despite this being a really difficult cake to shape I decided to give it a go. 

I made a large rectangular cake using 3 times the recipe found here. I used images from the internet to create a large A4 template which I cut around once the cake was cool. 
Shaped Humphrey
I then covered the cake in butter icing and grey sugar paste making sure to get the icing into all the corners so the shape was maintained. 

Iced
I wanted Humphrey to be wearing strippy dungarees in order to give him a little more colour. To do this I placed some white strips of icing on top of  some yellow icing and rolled these together to create a smooth finish. 

Creating striped icing.
Using this icing I placed it on to the cake and shaped it. I folded over the legs to form the bottom of the trousers. Using black sugar paste I rolled some sausages and use them to provide some of the detailing. Finally I made a balloon for Humphrey to hold. 

Finished Humphrey Cake
If you are in need of a cake for any occasion please get in touch and I'm currently making cakes for just the price of ingredients (November 2013). 

No comments:

Post a Comment