Monday 16 September 2013

Flowers Cake

My sister requested a cake from me for a celebration of 30ths, we discussed what she wanted and decided to make a lemon sponge with flowers decorating the top. She only wanted a small cake so I decided to make her a 6" cake. 

Ingredients:
4 Eggs
200g Self Raising Flour
200g Butter
200g Caster Sugar
100ml Lemon Juice

Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the flour and then the eggs 1 at a time. Mix until it has lightened in colour. Add the lemon juice and stir until mixed together.
Ready to go in the oven
Pour into a prepared cake tin and bake, 150oC for around 1 hour until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack. 
Cooling Cake
Make some butter icing by mixing together 250g butter and 500g icing sugar. Add around 30ml of lemon juice. The icing should taste lemony so add till it has a good kick. 

Cover the cake with butter icing and sugar paste as shown here. 

I then decided to cover the cake with lots of different coloured flowers made out of flower paste. This makes the flowers hard and also means they have more of a 3D effect rather than being flat on the cake as they are here

I cut out the flowers using cutters and then left them to dry slightly in bowls, so they dry slightly bent rather than flat. 
Flowers drying in bowls

These were then stuck on using edible glue. I made the leaves in the same way and also the 30 plaque in the middle. I used icing rolled into thin sausages to create the numbering. 

Overall I was fairly happy with the cake. I thought the flowers looked good and is something I would repeat. My cake covering is now improving but could still be better and this cake was created before I learnt those extra skills. I would also cover the board differently next time which would also create a better finish. The cake went down well with the birthday girls and I hope they would consider ordering cakes from me again. 
Finished Cake

If you want to order a cake from me please get in touch. I'm currently making them for the cost of just the ingredients (September 2013), this cake was £10 including box and board. Personalise a cake, do something different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment