Wednesday 28 August 2013

Lemon Custard Tart

My custard tarts have been really popular at Gary's work so I decided to try this variation that I found in Annie Bell's Baking Bible. 

The recipe was different from what I was expecting. I thought I'd make a custard and make it lemony, however, this was a liquid until baked in the oven. I guess a baked custard. Anyway, the recipe was again very easy, as I've come to expect from Annie Bell's recipes. 

First step was to make the pastry, this was made by combining all the ingredients in the food processer and then chilling for an hour or so. The pastry is the pressed into a cake tin. This bit was quite challenging because the case needs to be 6cm high but I got there in the end.

Pastry Case
The case was then baked blind and left to cool. 

The custard was made by combining all the ingredients and then pouring into the pastry shell.
Ready to go in the oven
This was then cooked for around 1.30hours and left to cool.

Baked Custard
The verdict: This recipe has produced mixed verdicts. Both Gary and I thought that the tart was nice, however, in places it was very eggy. I think it seperated in the oven and so some areas tasted of just egg whereas others had been nicely combined and tasted really good. The lemon was a nice flavour, not too strong, but no one knew that it had orange in it. My sister and mum thought that it was really nice and happily demolished the whole tart over the weekend. I would give the tart 7/10.
Finished pie and eaten!!

No comments:

Post a Comment