Monday 29 October 2012

Where have I Been?

I just wanted to write a quick post to explain my lack of baking and posting recently. I'm afraid I've been very unwell the last few weeks and into hospital twice. However, the reason is positive. 

I'm 11 weeks pregnant, I know it's early to be announcing it!! and I have a condition called Hyperemesis Gravidarum. For those that don't know this is where you are basically throwing up constantly, severe morning sickness, but certainly not just in the mornings. I've got to the stage where I'm unable to carry out a usual daily life as the more I move and get tired the more I throw up. Twice in the last few weeks I've been so bad that I've got very dehydrated and been sent into hospital for fluids. Last time was just last week and they made me stay overnight this time to get extra fluids into me and to ensure that I could keep food down when I left. I'm on anti-sickness drugs, which are helping, but still feel pretty unable to do anything. I haven't been able to work for over 3 weeks now and the Dr has signed me off till 5/12, being self-employed, this is proving to be quite an issue. 
IV in the hand being given fluids and anti-sickness drugs
Due to the HG I haven't been able to think about food let alone have the energy to bake anything, I've avoided the kitchen and fridge and am just trying to keep anything down at the moment. I'm hoping to get back to baking really soon and with a bit more variety. 

However, the positives, I've had an early scan last week to check that it wasn't twins so now I've seen the baby and its heartbeat:

Little m&m, only one, nice heartbeat and happily fidgeting around!!
All was healthy and dated the same kind of time, so it's due around the 19th May 2013. We'll get another scan next week which is our official 12 week scan and they do many more developmental checks then when the baby is a bit bigger and better formed. 

I have a mini Manley now, so the blog title makes a little more sense and I have a target to aim for, by May 2014 I need to be able to make a 1st birthday cake!! 

I've had lots of support from friends and family, lots of contact and lots of love sent my way. I'm very lucky in this manner and we were certainly glad we had announced it so whilst in hospital last week I received many text messages and well wishes. My mum has lots of kind friends who are frequently asking after me as well. It's lovely to know that so many people care. 

I'm able to work through books, dvds and tv series that I've wanted to watch. I've kept our little cat company even though the sound of me throwing up really freaks her out. 

And my husband, as always, has been incredible, doing way too much and looking after me as much as he can. We've had such understanding from his work, he's only been there 3 months!, and this has meant he could be there for me when I really needed him. 

Hopefully I'll get back to baking soon, I have borrowed a book from my mum to try and add some more variety to my books section so watch this space! and I have a birthday cake to make for my mum, not sure when she'll get it yet though!!

No comments:

Post a Comment