Monday 3 September 2012

Oven Baked Breakfast P.37

This weeks Passion of Baking Challenge was the Oven Baked Breakfast from page 37 of Jo Wheatley's book. This is basically a fry up but cooked in the oven rather than in a frying pan. I decided to have this as my dinner rather than a breakfast in order not to destroy my diet too much!! 

I made a few changes to the recipe this time, for simplicity but also for what I like. I didn't have any mushrooms (don't like them) and I didn't oil the tomato as I prefer it done without and it's easier. 

Basically the recipe consists of putting the sausages in the oven for around 10 mins, then adding the tomato and bacon for a further 10 mins. Once cooked take that lot out and put the eggs in the tray, as it's already hot it fries a little when added and then oven bake that for a few minutes. I found it hard to judge when the egg was cooked to my satisfaction so they were a little too hard for my liking, I like running yolks but the white has to be completely cooked. 

My Oven Baked Breakfast
I then made some toast and settled down to eat it. 

Verdict. Jo says "This is a lovely easy weekend brunch for when I'm not ready for a big breakfast but then too hungry to wait until lunchtime". For me this seems a strange comment because this is a big breakfast!! However, it was lovely and I enjoyed it. For me this recipe doesn't really work in a baking book, it seems out of place and also a bit basic. Everyone knows how to make a cooked breakfast so it seems a bit unnecessary to put it in here and then not really add anything extra. Yes it's novel cooking it in the oven but that's not really enough to inspire me. I was disappointed to pick this out of the bag and no less disappointed having made it even though it was a lovely meal. 

For the score, I'm not sure I want to give this meal a score because it's not unique and for that it's going to suffer, a mere 4/10. Next time Baked Omelette, let's see if this can be more original. 

No comments:

Post a Comment